Friday, May 18, 2012

PAST PERFECT (TENSES)

PAST PERFECT

(HAD) + PAST PARTICIPLE (GONE / SEEN / FINISH)

We use the past perfect - If we want to talk about things that happened before this time (the time of event - which has already happened) that is at the time of speaking. The event has already occurred.

Past Perfect (had form)

Example:

1.When Sarah arrived at the party, Paul had already gone home.( Sarah , Paul are Names)

2. When we got home last night, we found that somebody had broken into the flat (house).

3. At first I thought I had done the right thing, but I soon realized  that I has made a serious mistake.

4. I didn't know who she was. I'd ( I had) never seen her before.

5. We weren't hungry, we'd just had lunch.

6. The house was dirty. They didn't cleaned it for weeks.