Sunday, June 10, 2012

PARAGRAPH - COUCH POTATO

Couch Potato

How did the word ‘couch potato’ come about ? Ok … no need to explain ! I know when I see one, and I see one in the reflection of the laptop screen in front of me. Ha ! My occupation for the last so many days. An event comes to an end and another starts. Sometimes both run at the same time with similar interest. Have still not been able to figure out the screen within a screen function on tv sets, else would have loved to activate it. Big tragedy ! Saw Rafael Nadal breeze through against his compatriot Ferrer and was keen to witness the Novak – Federer game. But something happened. Rain stopped play at Roland Garros and by the time the game started again, the channels were into the Euro Cup pre game introductions. Attempts to get back to Tennis were futile, so settled for the Poland – Greece opener for Euro Cup. kept trying to get back to the Tennis but the designated channel had nothing of it. After a sizable amount of time with the Poles and the Greeks, where it was felt the Greeks were getting a raw deal by the referee – red carding one of their players, somewhat harshly I felt, as did many on the twitter and reducing the Greeks to 10 players, I tried surfing again and .. wohhhh ! The tennis was back on Novak having won a set and leading into another set win against Federer ! Smashing stuff !! The longer I stayed on the tennis the more mistakes Novak was making, so switched back to the football, only to find that I had missed an equalizer by Greece against Poland who were a goal up while I was on my way to Roland Garros. Involve in the football, I found a gap to get back to tennis and discovered that it was the third set and Novak leading convincingly. What ?? Federer going down in straight sets ?!! Could never have imagined that a couple of years ago ! Shuttled back to football to see a penalty in favor of Greece, because their goal keeper had been sent off for obstruction. Goodness !! What a game ! I said ok here goes, Greece shall get poetic justice, but the penalty is missed – brilliantly stopped by the substitute goalie who just came in for the one red carded !! That done I rushed back to Garros, only to find ads., running on how the cocoa beans for Cadbury’s chocolates are chosen ! Missed the final moment of victory of Novak Djokovic from Serbia, over Roger Federer of Switzerland, a crowd favorite.

Amitabh Bachchan