Monday, May 21, 2012

NOUN - Sentence Examples

NOUN - EXAMPLE WITH SENTENCES

Countable Nouns:

I stepped in  a puddle
I drank a glass of milk
I saw an apple tree.
I got the new crockery set of seventy pieces.
Fill those buckets with water

NON Count:

I dove into the water
I saw the milk spill
The oil is leaking from the tank.

Count:            Pluralizes with -s
Non Count :   Don't pluralizes with -s

 Count:                 I have some difficulties in finding the job.
                            The talks will take place in the Albert Hall.
                           The city was bright lights and harsh sound.

Non Count:          She succeeded in school with little difficulty.
                            I dislike idle talk.
                            Light travels faster than sound.

SPECIAL CASES:

There are several French wines to choose from.
I prefer Sumatran coffees to Colombian.
We use a variety different  batters in our bakery.

Count Singular:

I ate an Apple.
I rode the bus.
does she live in this house? No, She lives in that house over there.

Count Plural:

I like to feed the birds.
Do you want these books? No, I want those books up there.
Cats are interesting perts.
 
Non Count  :

The water is cold.
This milk is going sour.
Music helps me relax.

Count Singular:
I practice every day.
I'd like one donut, please.


Count Plural:
Can I have some chips?
She has a lot of books, and many are autographed.
I have fewer pencils than you.

Non Count:
Can I have some water?
She has a lot of strength, and much is due to her upbringing.
I have less courage than you.
The board will meet tomorrow to consider your application.
The information you gave to the detective was very misleading.
I thought it was a strange comment to make.
Smoking damages your health.
Jean is studying music at college.
I'll have a coffee please.


RULE:           Non-Count doesn't have a Plural.