Saturday, June 02, 2012

Modals - Can - Could - Can't

All About Series: MODALS - Auxiliary Verb (Can and Could)

Examples: Can and Could:

He can drive the car.
can + infinitive (can do /can play /can come etc.)

I / We/ You /They
He / She / It
Can
Cannot (Can’t)
do
drive
see
come, play etc.
Question Form


              Can
I / We/ You /They
He / She / It
Do?
Drive?
See?
Come ?,  Play? etc.
 
I can do something = I know how to do it or it is possible for me to do it.
·         Can you sing?’ ‘Yes, but I’m not a very good singer.
·         Can you change the Dollar bill?” I’m sorry I can’t.
·         Andrew can speak German but he can’t speak French.
·         I can play the guitar. My brother can play the piano.
·         I’m having a party next week but Ann and Sally  can’t come.
For the past (yesterday / last week etc. ). We use could / couldn’t.
·         Before Anna came to France, she couldn’t understand much French. Now she can understand everything.
·         I was hungry last night but I couldn’t eat.
·         When I was young, I could run very fast.
·         I had a party last week but Susan and Katrina couldn’t come.
Can you …? Could You … ? Can I … ? Could I …?
When we ask people to do things:  We use Can you …? Or Could You …?
·         Can you open the door, please? Or Could you open the door, please?
·         Can you wait a moment, please? Or Could you wait…?
We use can I have …? Or Could I have …? to ask for something:
(In a shop) Can I have these postcards, please? Or could I have …?
 Can I … ? or Could I … ? = is it OK to do something?:
Kathy, can I borrow your umbrella? Or Tom, could I borrow your umbrella?
(on the phone) Hello, can I speak to Dr. Sam, Please? Or … could I speak …?